Monday, August 20, 2012

Power Port


Today was the day of my port placement. I had to be to the hospital by 7 to get an IV placed and then it was off to interventional radiology for the actual port placement.

We realized last week that we weren't sure what time our daycare opens and we needed to check...but we forgot. We remembered again last night, but it was too late so we decided that Geoff would drop me off and then drop the kids off. Then he would come back and meet up with me. This seemed like a good enough plan for everyone.

Overall it worked fine, but we realized this morning that E was too sick to go to daycare. He was coughing and miserable. We decided he would hang out with Geoff for the morning and since I was supposed to be able to go home around noon we would be home in time for him to have a long afternoon nap.

This revised plan worked great and E loved all the attention. When they first arrived after dropping off Ella, I had just been hooked up to IV fluids. E looked at my IV and asked what it was. I told him it was an IV and how I would get my medicine. I reminded him that he had one when he was in the hospital and he nodded and replied "ya, I cried." Then he wanted to know about my ID bracelet and asked if it had my birthday on it (birthdays=very important to 3 year olds).

I'm glad my boys were with me. Geoff is a great support, but I tell that he is out of his comfort zone and overwhelmed at times. E on the other hand, finds all of this fascinating and wants to ask questions. I don't like being a patient and having the boys with me is not only a great distraction, it allows me to tap into my comfort zone as a nurse.

The port placement itself took about a hour. I found it to be very comfortable and tolerable. I had fentanyl for pain in addition to topical analgesics. I was under a drape from head to toe for the procedure. There was a window for them to place the port on my right upper chest and they cut me a window on the left side by my face so I could see/talk with my nurse.

I was warned that this drape makes some people very claustrophobic, but I was fine. The room was cold because all the staff has to wear lead aprons during the procedure, so I found the drape to be a nice insulating layer. I could feel pressure when they threaded the catheter portion and I knew when they made the incision or put the sutures in, but I couldn't feel any of it. In the end I had 4 deep tissue sutures and some dermabond (surgical glue for your skin) and two dressings.

Not my most best photo... :)








After the procedure was done I was transported to the chemotherapy treatment area to recover. I met up with Geoff and E again and we had a nice time talking and snacking. Just before we left my amazing NP came to visit for a bit and then we were on our way.

See? Really, it wasn't bad.


Geoff stopped and got us lunch for the way home. E fell asleep as did I. When we got home Geoff helped get us into the house and E and I basically slept the rest of the afternoon. Geoff took care of all of my demands...I'll be honest, it sucks to not be allowed to lift more than 10+ lbs on your right side when you have kids, pets, etc. I never think  about how much I lift or move. I also had no idea how much it was going to hurt to try to get into bed. Once I took some ibuprofen and used an ice pack it was fine, but initially all I could think was "what have I done?"

Really the day wasn't pretty ok. The best part was the mail. I got a bunch of wonderful cards. Each one filled with a special note. I also received a belated bday present and an awesome care package! So far I've gotten two care packages and they are so much fun to look through. Today's was from some friends of ours and included appropriately crass comments such as "fuck cancer" throughout. It made us both giggle which in itself was wonderful. It also included a modern poetry book with peoms by such greats as Snooki, Kanye West, and The Biebs.



I couldn't stay awake to read it today but I have no doubt that it will appeal to my high cultural and creative standards tomorrow during chemo.

2 comments:

  1. I thought chemo was once a week? So sorry to hear about E's latest illness-poor guy! Sending positive energy your way and praying you don't get sick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chemo is once a week and today was the day, but because I'm an oncology patient they had me recover there after my port placement. It was fine. I was glad to be with my people...I was fortunate enough to have an awesome nurse yesterday and I got to have her again today. Yay! Continuity of care :)

    ReplyDelete