Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Droughts and Black Clouds

Due to very little rainfall this year, southern WI is suffering from a severe drought. It is a topic that is nearly impossible to avoid. Everywhere you go people are talking about the effects the drought has in relation to their gardens, yards, the corn crop, feed prices, etc. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people talk about doing a rain dance in the last month.

Today was relatively boring day at our house. I had a chiropractor appointment, ran a few errands, went to the hippie pharmacy to talk about supplements, and went riding when Geoff came home from work. For the first time in over a week there were no phone calls from the Cancer Center or UW. Actually, the phones were fairly quiet. Too quiet? The day was so uneventful I realized I had nothing to write about tonight. I thought about it a little and there really was nothing that inspired me...but then it happened.

I was folding laundry and Ella projectile vomited all over me. This is when I realized that everyone in my house besides me is miserable and sick. Ephraim has pink eye. Geoff has been losing his voice on and off all week. All of them have colds, but as Geoff pointed out last night, I have cancer so I trump them (him at the time). I pointed out that this was absurd because I feel fine. Then I started thinking about the little black cloud that seems to be hanging over us right now.

Asleep at last...
I began to wonder if somewhere there was some sort of miscommunication. I'm sure at some point we have talked about wanting rain, but we meant the kind of rain that helps our flowers blossom, not figurative rain. I guess we should have been more clear. Soon enough all this will pass, but I thought I would warn you in case you needed to be more specific too.

No comments:

Post a Comment