Tuesday, August 14, 2012

C is for Circling Up

I have no idea how to really describe the principle of "circling up" to someone unfamiliar with Frontier Nursing University. The significance of circling up is defined by Frontier with the following mnemonic and description.
  • C – Compassion
  • I – Innovation
  • R – Reflection
  • C – Community
  • L – Legacy
  • E – Excellence
  • U – Uniqueness
  • P – Primary Care
"When students visit campus for Frontier Bound orientation or Clinical Bound training each day ends with a "Circle Up." Students, faculty, and staff link arms with one another and form a circle. Everyone pauses to reflect on the day, share encouraging thoughts and take time to remember the spirit of our School. As most students and alumni have experienced at least one "circle up" session at Frontier and understand its deep-rooted history, this phrase is a meaningful and memorable way to express our values as an institution."

When I attended Frontier Bound in May of last year we were told that one of the reasons for physically attending an orientation session was to meet our community of fellow students. We did "circle up" at the end of each day and we were told that after we left orientation we would experience the extended community of Frontier "circling up" to support each other in different ways.


In all honesty I approached my first time "circling up" with an awkward shyness. I figured it was just one of those things we did at what I called "nurse camp" and they would have us do each time we were at "nurse camp" but it wouldn't ever have any relevance in my real life.

Not even a week after I finished orientation, also known as Frontier Bound, the Joplin tornado struck. Almost immediately my school email was swarmed with messages of love and support for the students and faculty affected by this disaster. All of our school forums and message boards were filled too. I thought it was sweet.

This continued for other large storms, faculty receiving awards or publication, DNP (Doctor of Nursing Practice) candidates successfully completing their programs. On a smaller scale the students from our specific orientation class started private Facebook groups to support each other and then we broke apart into other groups for specific classes and interests. There is even a group that specifically supports each others weight loss efforts.

When we attend conferences the Frontier students find each other and circle up. I was not convinced that I wanted to participate in "circling up" outside of the sacred grounds of our "nurse camp" located in the mountains of Hyden, Kentucky, but I have and each time it makes me cry.

It's odd, this "circling up." It is sacred to me now. My fellow classmates are my sisters (and brothers...there is only one male in the midwifery program that I know of right now and I have not met him, but there are males from my class in the Family Practice Nurse Practitioner program).

There is even a soundtrack that goes with "circling up." To emphasize the diversity amongst us and our future patients they played "It's In Every One of Us" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79GD---xXc4 multiple times at "nurse camp." I can't listen/watch this without thinking of being hugely pregnant with Ella (30 weeks to be exact) and having arms around each of my shoulders and swaying back and forth with a room full of sisters/brothers. It's surprisingly familiar and comforting.

Back in June when I first suspected something was wrong I shared my concerns on a private message board with my fellow midwifery students. They circled up and supported me. Then when I received the phone call that confirmed it was indeed cancer, I again shared with them. (To be completely honest, I shared with them before I could get reach my husband).  Of course they circled up again. Many of these people are people I have never even met, but the ones that I have went above and beyond.

One of my classmates sent me multiple private messages each day for the first week to cheer me up and cheer me on. Another has texted, called, listened every step of the way. She has even helped me study (despite me being possibly the worse study buddy ever) via Skype. Many of the comments on my blog or facebook pages are from my classmates. Even more classmates have sent me private messages, emails and snail mail cards of support.

The last few days I have finally started telling the faculty what is going on in case I need to step down from full time to part time or take a break (though I do not plan on doing any of the above). Each time I've told a faculty member I've realized how well supported I have been by my fellow classmates and what a wonderful sense of community we have. I think they should be proud of what they have created in us. Community and tradition are very important to Frontier, but I never expected this would become such an integral part of my own support system.
Not "circling up" in this picture but these are my fellow class 88 midwife students

Thank you for "circling up" and supporting me. I look forward to returning the favor. I love you!












 

4 comments:

  1. Wow! It is so humbling when there is a crisis how truly amazing people can be! But, alas, you must be a supportive friend in order to have one and you have definitely been a blessing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, peace, and healing thoughts to you...from just one of your Frontier sisters...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have goosebumps reading this. I also was flooded with memories of circling-up last fall at Hyden. It is truly a blessing to be surrounded by compassionate women.

    ReplyDelete