Friday, November 9, 2012

Tumor Board 2.0

I'm really tired so I'm going to cut to the chase.

The consensus at tumor board was that according to the MRI, I am cancer free. Once again, yay! Unfortunately they did not all agree what to do with me.

The votes were 4:2 against surgery.

Of the 4 against surgery, 1 was my radiation oncologist. We already knew this is how she felt. Another felt that when there was "the spot on my cervix" they should have biopsied it to ensure it was still tumor and then done surgery asap. Another felt that I should be watched closely with scans every 2 months and if anything is questionable, biopsy under anesthesia. The final vote against surgery wasn't strongly one way or another but felt the recommendation against was fine.

Of the 2 for surgery, 1 was my gyn oncologist. He feels pretty strongly about this. Strongly enough that if I don't have the surgery he thinks it would be best for my next appointment if I were to consult with one of his colleagues who recommend against.

The problem is...there is no evidence either way. No one really knows what to do.

Reasons to not do the surgery is that I might never have a recurrence, thereby making surgery unnecessary. No chance for an operative/post-operative complication without surgery. Finally I get to keep my already fried and non-functioning girl parts.

In theory if I have the surgery it should reduce my risk of recurrence (but of course it is not guaranteed). Another point for the surgery is that apparently after radiation there is a window of opportunity for surgery before scar tissue starts to set in and my pelvic organs begin to meld with one another. If I wait to have surgery until later (because I change my mind or I have a cancer recurrence) then it would most likely be a more difficult surgery with a higher risk of complications.

While I definitely have a choice, I feel like unless I am told otherwise, the best option is to have the surgery.

I didn't want to choose this, but I don't ever want to go through all of this again. I hated chemo and found radiation to be so degrading.

I've never had anything more than day surgery and while this is only a laparoscopic hysterectomy it is still scary to me. The surgery itself is scary. Being a patient in the hospital is scary to me (plan right now is only one night though) and how this is going to effect my family is scary to me.

Fortunately we have freezer meals, but I think I am going to set up another meal sign-up to help Geoff. My mom will be here for a few days next week to help. We also have daycare on Tuesdays and Thursdays for Ella, but I'm worried about Geoff managing where everyone is, where they are supposed to be, his work load and schedule, and me. Of course we'll get through it, we always do.

If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to let me know here or on facebook...

Other than that we'll have to save my integrative medicine meeting until tomorrow or another day.

Things I have learned from cancer today:

Sleep is invaluable. (I should be asleep).

No comments:

Post a Comment