Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Commando

The day started with a 6:45 am MRI.

I was greeted by my favorite valet as I arrived at the hospital. A quick "hi" and then I ran off to the radiology department.

MRI's for gyn issues are not exactly a girl's dream come true. I came dressed for the occasion, no metal and comfy clothes. No matter, I still ended up wearing the unflattering hospital issued pj pants. I debated it, but only for a brief moment. Really there is no choice because of the giant syringe of conducting gel that has to be inserted into, well, use your imagination.

If that stuff oozes out, and it will, then your pants are shot. They give you towels and feminine hygiene products to arm yourself, but that goo is attracted to anywhere not appropriately protected.

I settled down on the bed of the scanner filled with goo like a jelly-filled donut. I had my IV hooked up for the MRI contrast (I opted to skip the port drama today and just get a normal peripheral IV) and the giant foam piece that straps down over my abdomen to help conduct the radio waves or improve the images or something. I was asked if I wanted to listen to music and what kind. I was given options and a set of bulky old school headphones were placed over my ears.

The MRI was started and I had no music. Then I was told that Pandora wasn't working, but I would be able to listen to a local radio station. I figured "fine. whatever." then that radio statio turned out to be non-NPR talk radio. Ug.

Overall I could barely hear it over UW's archaic MRI. It really didn't matter though. I was extremely tired so I snoozed in and out during the whole process. After I was settled inside the tube I never opened my eyes again until I was done and out of the tube.

After my MRI I went to change back into my normal clothes and I realized that my underwear were a complete loss from the conducting gel. Commando it would be. I debated using my free time to run to Macy's or Target, but in my heart of hearts I knew I needed the time to study so I sucked it up.

I found a place to study for the next couple hours and then I headed to the radiation oncology department. Small observation, it still feels like my home away from home. Geoff met up with me and shortly thereafter we met up with my radiation oncologist and our resident.

I had another pelvic exam and based off the exam and the tentative MRI results..................................
.................................................................................................................................................................
wait for it.................................................................................................................................................
.................................................................................................................................................................
THERE IS NO MORE CANCER!!!!.....NONE!!!!

I still have to wait for the final results and the decision from tumor board review on Thursday, but I may not be having surgery next Tuesday after all. I left UW feeling like I was walking on sunshine!

Then I went home to continue studying. I took my test and I am now officially done with one of my 2 incompletes. 1 more incomplete and the 3 classes I have this term and I am done with the didactic portion of my grad school education.

Dinner was brought to us by a friend tonight in addition to a bunch of freezer meals and other treats. This friend has kept us going all through treatments and I don't know what we would have done without the support from her and her family.

All-in-all it was a beautiful day even if I did spend a good portion of it going commando.

What cancer has taught me (day #2):
Always bring an extra pair of underwear to a pelvic MRI. You just never know if you are going to need them...



No comments:

Post a Comment