Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The visit

Other than getting up early for radiation, today was a wonderful day.

After radiation I saw a few of my favorite people at the hospital and was the benefactor of many hugs and a wonderful conversation. Then it was off to meet up Geoff and do our kiddo exchange. We decided to meet at the stable. E always loves exchanges at the stable because it is usually about the time that stalls are being cleaned and he gets to drive (help really) the tractor. While he does his thing Ella and I give Aggie treats. E also engaged in a discussion about the chickens that are coming soon (today?) and his role in keeping them safe from raccoons. We'll see how that goes.

I'll have to post pics of the chicks when we see them. The cutest chicken coop ever has already arrived for them to live in. It matches our barn and already has mum plants in the little flower boxes. It is really too cute.

After we finally left the barn we headed home. Geoff gets the kids pseudo ready in the morning, but this morning Ella was dressed but didn't have shoes. E had shoes, but was still in his pjs. Both needed their hair combed, teeth brushed, etc. For the record, I'm not complaining. Geoff does an amazing job and this is just how we work. I ran around and got the kids breakfast and took care of a few other things.

Ella in her new Minnie Mouse hat.
At about lunchtime I was blessed with a visit from my aunt and cousin from Chicago. They called last night to see if today would work for us. I don't know when the last time I got to see either of them was so it was pretty exciting. In my family being a baby hog is a genetic trait that we all possess, but the aunt and cousin coming to visit are two of the worst baby hogs. I know Ella isn't really a "baby" anymore, but small children still count as babies unless there is someone smaller around so E and Ella were in their element. First they were spoiled with gifts, and then attention. We went out for a long lunch and Geoff was even able to join us for a bit. By the time we were done both kids were exhausted.

The visit was too short, but it was decided that my aunt and cousin would head back to Chicago after our lunch so I could try to get a nap in too. Ella was passed out cold by the time we got home and E passed out within 5 minutes so I slept the most of the afternoon. My nausea snuck up on me a little before lunch as I was driving, but the rest of the day it was almost non-existent so I took advantage of the day and had chocolate chip pancakes for lunch and a mostly CSA BLT for dinner.

E in his new Spiderman shirt...strangling Ella and me looking like a maniac.
I couldn't have asked for a better day. Mondays are usually my best day of the week, but they are also usually overshadowed by the anticipation of chemo the next day. Today I barely even thought about chemo. I love that I didn't waste today thinking about what a crummy day I might have tomorrow. Even now as I do consider it, I should be almost done with my last dose of chemo in 12 hours. Usually the worst of the chemo after effects are done by midnight Tuesday so in 24 hours I should be through the worst. This is exciting.

It is amazing to me that I am almost done. I still have a few weeks left of external beam radiation and 4 treatments of internal radiation. The last day of it all is Tuesday October 9th, two weeks from tomorrow. Then I'll have another PET and MRI and we'll see where everything goes, but it feels pretty good to think I am almost done with chemo-radiation!

No comments:

Post a Comment