Tuesday, September 25, 2012

C is for chickens and chemo

 After chemo today we stopped at daycare to pick up the kids and then made a quick stop at the barn (it was on the way home). The chickens (not chicks) have arrived. Other than admiring them and E supposedly scaring away raccoons, they really have no bearing on our lives. Regardless we thought they were pretty fun so I took a few pics as promised.

You will note that in the background there is a cat. Actually, two of the barn cats were hovering, but you can't see both in this picture. The chickens did not seem too stressed by the presence of Rocky and Vinnie (the cats). I'm sure they were probably more pleased with the cuteness of their coop and the fact that it really matches the barn.

So you probably don't care that much about the chickens, the coop, or the cats...I guess the more important news of the day is I am done with chemo!

Overall everything went well today. I feel better tonight than I have the last few weeks, but still really tired and run down.

We dropped the kids off at daycare this morning on the way to the hospital. Geoff put both kids in the car, but thought I had put E's shoes on. When we got to daycare E had no shoes and we both realized immediately what we had done. Fortunately we had a spare set of shoes at daycare that were a little tight, but E was a good sport.

Once we got to the hospital and pulled into the valet service there was an elderly couple having obvious technical difficulties with one of their matching scooters. She was on oxygen and obviously having a difficult time breathing. We stopped to help them. She was fairly cantankerous though and didn't want to sit down. Eventually she did and they were able to get the other scooter working and into the hospital.

Then we headed to the cancer clinic lab to have my weekly lab draws and my port accessed. Once again there was drama with my port and getting blood return. It was positional so I had to contort myself to get my lab draws, but eventually it worked.

So, we were late to radiation. I think we were actually a whole hour late, but they didn't care. Then we met with my radiation oncologist and her resident (I like this one). Our appointment was brief since I have internal radiation on Friday again and none of us see any reason why I need multiple exams in one week.

Finally, we headed up to chemo. I took Benadryl before chemo again and was asleep long before the chemo started. I did however, manage to play (and win...though the second game I may have pushed the rules a little...aka chemo rules) 2 rounds of a board game with Geoff before falling asleep. The combination of a late start and needing some IV Magnesium to bring my serum (blood) levels back to an appropriate level made chemo take just a little longer than normal, but I really didn't care because now I am done!

More pics below of my port being accessed (disclaimer to you non-medical, squeamish types: there is a pic of a needle and there is some blood in one pic)


Before...as they start to set up.
A sterile drape is added over my shirt.
The site is scrubbed vigorously for at least a minute.
The needle being put in.
Blood return.

No comments:

Post a Comment