Saturday, September 15, 2012

Real radiation

Today was a storybook beautiful fall day.

If you haven't already seen Facebook we went to our favorite apple orchard with my mom and a good time was had by all.

As we sat in the upper orchard by one of the sheep paddocks (the owners of the orchard also have a herd of Black Welsh Sheep for wool/meat/fun) watching E try to pull Ella in a wagon, I closed my eyes, sprawled out in the leaves, and soaked up the sun. The squeals of my kids faded out of my reality for a few brief moments as I allowed myself to wish all radiation treatments were like this.


 Once we got down to actual apple picking, it was apparent that E remembered last year when we went with Geoff's parents. I don't think any of us would have expected that he would remember that a year ago we let him stand on the shoulders of Geoff, or Granny (Geoff's mom), and pick apples. E was convinced that this would once again be the best method again to get all the high up apples that everyone else can't reach, so we carefully let him try to climb up on Geoff's shoulders. I'll spoil the suspense and tell you we did not have a 10 foot+ tower advantage to get the highest apples because we instead learned that E has gained some common sense. I am pleased to say that for once our little climbing monkey didn't like being so high up and wanted to be put back down.

Both kids were double fisting apples and it took all of us adults to keep Ella from taking more. I don't think I've ever just handed her an apple before so it was pretty fun to watch her crunch away.

It was definitely a day that didn't center around cancer and I am willing to bet that no one that we crossed paths with today would have ever guessed that I have cancer. I'm secretly hoping we go back to the orchard tomorrow!

1 comment: