Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Switch

Today's chemo went off without a hitch. Due to the craziness of schedule changes we ended up taking Miss Ella with us, but even that was fine. We brought "colors" (special markers that only color on special paper, and crayons), a few little toys, and some snacks and she was a happy camper. She even fell asleep in her stroller about halfway through.

On our way home we stopped to pick up the ornaments Geoff and I made in our glass blowing class last weekend. They aren't perfect, but we are pleased with them. Some look like colorful little pickles, but honestly I think we both kind of liked these best. We also made one other quick stop to exchange a dog leash for our yard that we bought last week and had already broke. Then Geoff dropped Ella and I off at home and headed for work.

I figured since Ella had already taken a nap, that I probably wasn't going to get another one from her, yet I was cautiously optimistic that maybe her last few nights of poor sleep from the double ear infection would cause her to need a "catch up" day. Ya, I was wrong. She felt more compelled to climb and get into everything. Suddenly I realized the switch has turned. It's not bad, but I'm tired. I'm starting to feel like maybe I had a little chemo this week. I remember this gradual sneak through of no energy and maybe, just maybe a titch of nausea.

In the end I decided to bring a snack cup, a sippy cup of juice, some books and other toys and put Ella in her crib. I turned on some music for her (Ella loves to rock out...no joke) and I took the opportunity to take a little cat nap (with a cat of course)...Thanks for the suggestion, mom. I needed it and I have to go pick up E in a few minutes from preschool, but now I can be a happy, good mom again instead of an overtired and frustrated one.

Meanwhile Ella seems to have had a good time messing with the arsenal of toys that tend to be reserved for her crib. So it was truelly a win-win. I'm a little sad to say good-bye to my wonderful energy levels, but it was inevitable and I also know that it is only temporary. Besides, once I get E home and Geoff comes home I can take some more nausea medication and I wouldn't be surprised if that makes the difference for the rest of today.

The greatest part of my day though was that Oompa toys, an online toy retailer that used to have a  store based in Madison honored a my request for a discount on a doll house I fell in love with a few days ago.

http://www.oompa.com/item/JHP-DH-ALL-SEAS-FURN-E3401/Hape-All-Season-Dollhouse-Furnished/1.html

It wasn't something that really fits into our budget (or lack there of, really) right now, but everytime I volunteer at E's preschool he loves playing with the doll houses there with the other kids and Ella always gravitates towards them too. Furthermore, we are getting the area in our living room that had flood damage this past year finally finished and the colors matched the play area perfectly.

I decided to suck it up and explain our situation. The unfurnished version of the dollhouse was on sale, so I asked if they would consider if they giving us a deal on the furnished version instead because otherwise we couldn't afford to buy anything to put in it. They were very kind and honored it as a rare, special circumstance request. It makes me feel special to know that my kids are getting a much deserved surprise. All of this has been hard on them. E asks me everyday if I am going to the doctor and talks about it all the time at preschool. I know they will love it and I love Oompa for making this special request possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment