Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Biopsy

This morning I had my biopsy. The lymph node that was biopsied was a para-aortic retroperitoneal lymph node. In not so big words, this means the lymph node they biopsied is about halfway up my back and situated directly to the left of my spine.

To guide the biopsy needle everything was done using a CT scanner. First a quick scan was done to get a general idea of everything. Then they taped a catheter to my back as a landmark and did another CT. Then the scanner shut down and had to be rebooted.

I think they were a little mortified, but I was comfortable enough. So way back when I had my CT scan for mapping of my radiation treatments (not a good experience if you never read that blog post), I had to have my CT on my "belly board," a custom made to me foam piece used for my radiation treatments. For that CT I had to lay face down on the belly board and it reminded me of body surfing. As a coping mechanism I closed my eyes and imagined myself at Fingal Bay Beach, a beach near Geoff's grandparents house in Australia and my favorite beach in the world. As the CT scanner tells me when to take a breath and to hold it, I just imagine a nice big wave and lots of sunshine. It may sound silly, but it has gotten me through a lot of CTs!

Today was another visit to Fingal. Most of the CTs I have are belly up, but today was once again face down so they could access the lymph node through my back. It really doesn't matter either way as long as I close my eyes, but today was probably the most comfortable CT I have ever had. Of course that was the fentanyl. Once again I refused stronger meds, but I took some Fentanyl, snuggled in with a pillow and a bunch of warm blankets draped around my arms/shoulders and waist/legs. I closed my eyes and listened for the breathing instructions.

I was told the most important thing today was to hold still so other than itching my nose when the CT scanner was being rebooted and unconsciously jumping because there wasn't enough lidocaine (numbing med) around the biopsy site, I did fine.

After I was done I had to hang out for an hour and eat some food. It really wasn't too bad. The best part of it all was that Geoff's boss found out yesterday that he was going to miss my biopsy and she told him "I don't expect to see you tomorrow." Their department is holding a conference in the dells an he was supposed to gone all today and most of tomorrow, but he stayed home with me instead. She told him that if there was anything wrong to stay home Wednesday too, but I think he is going to leave in a little while. I'm hurting more than I thought I would, but I told him to enjoy the opportunity to have a hotel room to yourself and to sleep (luxuries that don't always happen with our lifestyle).

My parents are here to help me with the kids for the night and more importantly in the morning. We still have to figure out who is taking E to preschool and Ella to daycare so I can go to work, and I'm not really sure how everyone is getting home. I think I'm picking everyone up after I'm done, which will work fine because I also have to pick up Esther & Fern from the kennel (they took a little vacation to make things easier on me tonight).

So anyway, they took two biopsies because they could and no one would ever know. I have a little bandaid on my back which will be going away soon and a barely noticeable puncture site on my hand from an IV. I feel like a wuss because I keep whining to Geoff that I hurt and I'm tired, but overall, I'm glad it's done. It will be another 3-5 days before I get results, but I'm ok with that.

I need to get working on a paper and studying for my tests (finals) next week. There are plenty of things to keep me busy and distracted. Most exciting of all, Geoff and I are taking a glass blowing class this Saturday. His parents will be in the country for a couple weeks and they blissfully agreed to watch the kids for a couple hours this Saturday so we could have a non-cancer/hospital/dr appointment date. We are pretty excited (I think Geoff's parents are too).

I feel really lucky. I have gotten some of the sweetest cards and notes this week. I nearly cried when I opened something from Target the other day and found it to be a gift card from the family of one of E's oldest friends and then the next day at church I went to thank someone again and give them a hug for a gift previously mentioned here and she gave us a grocery store gift card, a co-op gift card, and a jar of wonderful homemade strawberry jam. How incredibly thoughtful. Once again all I can think is I WILL pay it forward. As far as I'm concerned these lymph nodes need to not be cancer because I have a lot of living and giving to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment