Wednesday, October 24, 2012

No more happy place

So yesterday I mentioned that one of our toilets flooded while we were gone for a night over the weekend. We have never had any problems with any of our toilets before, and even now, no problems. Geoff called the insurance company yesterday to file a claim and before they could get an adjustor here they suggested having a contractor come to see there is still water under the floorboards to stop any more damage from happening.

She had a special tool that she aimed at the floor in the bathroom and the ceiling in the living room below the bathroom. Initially she said there was no standing water under the bathroom but then realized her meter was on the wrong setting. She rechecked the bathroom and soon after I was swearing profusely in my head. Then we went downstairs and the news didn't get any better.

So tomorrow morning she and her team will be back. First they are going to rip the flooring out of the bathroom and pull up the "kick boards" under the vanity. They will drill holes along the edge of the vanity and use some other "equipment" to dry everything out. This equipment will inhabit our bathroom for a few days.

We won't really know the extent of the damage until they start ripping everything apart, but what I do know is that we only have one bathtub. Our master bath has a shower and the other bath is just a half bath, so the kids will have to adjust to showers for the time being.

Ok, so will I. Well, I mean I take showers everyday, but baths are what I do to relax. Baths have been my one constant through all this. Chemo days I would come home and soak in the tub until I was forced to get out from being physically ill. Usually in the middle of the night everything would start to settle back down and I would soak again. I also have to admit I lost a high percentage of radiation stickers to soaking in the tub. Now I don't even get my bathtub. (enter more cuss words)

I can't verbalize how ticked off I am right now and that's only the bathroom...

In our living room we have a nook that we have turned into a playroom space. That is toast too. We finally got around to painting it at the end of July just as all of this cancer stuff started and now a good chunk of the drywall will have to come out. We can't use the lights in the area, because they might be soaking in water and an approximately 6 foot section of the ceiling is going to have to be ripped out. Of course the water didn't stop with the ceiling, it soaked through and now the carpet in this region has to be pulled up and all the foam padding underneath needs to be removed.

The person wasn't sure, but because the carpet continues throughout the rest of the room and to the stairs going upstairs she predicts the insurance company won't pay to replace the carpet. (more swear words)

To add insult to injury I was working on the bathroom in question. I have most of the painting done and I had wanted to change the flooring anyway, but now wasn't the time. If I was going to change the flooring I really wanted to change the vanity/sink too and in my dream world I would put in a different tub. Something just a little deeper and maybe a titch bigger for soaking.

My other priority home improvement project was to replace the carpet in the living room. The carpet on the stairs is gross and the carpet at the bottom of the stairs is beyond gross.

I'm trying to be happy that I'll probably get a new bathroom floor, but today I'm frustrated. Retail therapy is my favorite kind of therapy and right now when I really need it, I can't. We had to stop at Menards tonight for some bungy cords and I tortured myself by walking through the bathroom section. I added up how much it would cost to make the changes I want and it wasn't that much (for working Gin).

Menards is not my first choice for a bathroom makeover, but since I enjoy the hunt of finding deals/sales at some of the more unique and local shops I figure these prices aren't too far off. It doesn't help anything, but my initial reaction is to smack my head against the wall because none of this would have been so terrible if I been working and could afford to make the extra changes, but right now that is not an option.

I don't want to fix things now and then pay to tear it all apart again in a year. More importantly, I have been working like crazy to clean and organize the household and now significant portions of our household are going to be torn apart. I have no idea how I'm going to keep the kids out away from these messes, but we'll figure that out later. On a more selfish note, I do not want to loose my happy place right now.

My potential hysterectomy is only 3 weeks from today. I get tired of all the uncertainty and radical acceptance that my current health situation imposes. Now I don't even know if I'll get to soak in my  bath before then (and if I do have to have surgery it will be awhile before I get to soak again).

I'm sure I'm overreacting and I know I sound ridiculous, but this was another one of those things that I just never expected. I will get over it. I'm sick of my bad luck and right now I don't feel like being a good sport.

On the upside of it all...we gave the kids baths tonight and after Ella's bath she toddled over to E's potty chair and very intentionally peed (this is not the first time she has done this). E was very annoyed when we made it into a big deal and gave her a prize from the treasure box. It took him all of 10 seconds to use the potty once she vacated it-he needed to ensure she didn't get all the good prizes. They obviously inherited their ridiculousness from Geoff :)

Cancer chain quote of the day:

But sometimes it is necessary to do that which is too much. -Pope John Paul II

No comments:

Post a Comment