Monday, October 8, 2012

Lazy Sunday

The plan for this weekend was to take it easy...well, and do a few things...

Yesterday was fun, but busy so we figured we would make some time for downtime today...So we got up to go to church, but due to unforeseen agenda changes on behalf of E and Ella we were late. We decided that instead of interrupting church we would spend time in the coffee clutch area. We thought we would be responsible and sit on one of the couches that are directly in front of the tv that the church service is televised on. It didn't matter, we couldn't hear a thing and again our children were determined that our attention should be elsewhere. We weren't too fussed.

Then it was time for E to go to Sunday school (the reason we went to church despite being late in the first place). E as always had a wonderful time. One of the girls that volunteers in the nursery hunted us down to get Ella, but Ella was extremely anti-nursery today so that was a bust. It didn't really matter though, because Geoff and I still played some trivial pursuit card game. We have never finished a game during Sunday School until today and the important part is that I won. (I'm not above gloating a little)

After church we decided that E really needed a haircut and it couldn't wait any longer. Usually E gets his hair cut by the same person we all go to, but there is always a wait to get in with her so we caved and took him to Cost Cutters. There was no wait. The girl that cut his hair did a good job, but she never talked to him or me and because he moved when she got the clippers out she decided to do the whole hair cut by hand. It took forever, but again she did a good job. I was antsy because apparently Cost Cutters has a breast cancer awareness campaign going on and everywhere I looked everything was pink and had anti-cancer slogans. You would think I would think I would think this was great and on some level I do...but really it just makes me incredibly uncomfortable. I feel like I have this dirty little secret and as previously mentioned in a different post I feel like breast cancer is the "cool cancer" and I just have cervical cancer which is very very uncool.

After the haircut we ran home for diaper changes and to make plans for food. I decided that I could not live without Chinese food. Seriously. I haven't had it in ages and wouldn't you know that the Chinese restaurant here in town that we liked has gone out of business and the other one was not open. The plan was to do some quick research to find a different one that worked with our plans for the rest of the day. While I was doing research Geoff was putting the dogs out and E decided to let Fern (our 2 year old Coonhound) out of the house. In all fairness to E, he really didn't mean to and he started apologizing immediately (it was really cute). As all this happened Geoff twisted his ankle which left me to chase down our extremely fit and fast pup.

I think it is important to note at this point that this is the second time in 24 hours that we had to chase down Fern (last night when Geoff was walking the dogs she got out of her harness) and the third time in 24 hours that one of our dogs had gotten out (Esther, the 3 year old Coonhound was let out of the house yesterday...also by Ephraim...also by accident...through a different door).

We are pretty neurotic about our pets getting out and our dogs never get out, so by this third time both of us were pretty frustrated and concerned. Esther was very easy for me to lure back in yesterday and even Fern was pretty easy last night. This afternoon though Fern was sure it was time to play. She was running laps around our neighbor's houses and of course running towards the busiest street in our neighborhood. Finally we were able to catch her, but there was no luring or tempting home today. We have since restocked our treat selection and initiated multiple backup plans to prevent this from becoming an everyday occurance.

After reassuring E that all was well we headed out to get our Chinese and begin the real errands of the day. We drove to Paoli to check out the new store "Cluck." It is a store dedicated to the urban chicken trend. It is the source of the new chicken coop at our stable and also a source of much interest to both Geoff and I. It was really fun for all of us. We learned a lot and the kids really enjoyed some 6 week old Lavender Bantam chicks. E also enjoyed checking out all the fun coops and putting himself inside them since apparently none of them are 3 year proof.

After Cluck we headed back to Oregon's second annual Alpaca festival. A cute little event that is put on by our favorite photographer and her favorite Alpaca farm. The kids enjoyed petting and feeding the Alpacas almost as much as we did and we have some cute photos that I'll have to post another day.

After the Alpacas we had just enough time to run home and change diapers and let out dogs (without help from kids). Then it was off to swimming lessons. After swimming lessons we ran to Target and then the stable for my Sunday evening ride. We didn't get home until after 8pm.

All in all, it was a fun day and a fun weekend, but there was really nothing relaxing about it. In retrospect we maybe should have tried to do less, but the kids had a great time and so did we. I didn't get all the things I wanted to get done finished and I certainly didn't get the rest I craved, but I'll stay in my pjs for the day tomorrow. I don't have to get up for radiation and I'm pretty excited about that.

In other news:

E told us at one point in the day that he has a friend named Dougy and "she" is a butterfly, which is a type of bug (in case you did not know)

Cancer chain quote of the day:

"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." -James Baldwin



1 comment:

  1. sounds like a great day! and i love the quote...so true! hugs and loves!! amy

    ReplyDelete