Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Wednesday evenings

As I have mentioned before Wednesday evenings Geoff teaches math at ITT Tech. He applied for this position while I was on the mend from Cancer round 1 and we were debating our options. He accepted just before the 3 month check up that turned our world back upside down. We thought this was going help us catch up from round 1 and give us a little cushion...little did we know what was really in store for us.

Regardless, it turned out to be a good thing. The one questions we both have had going forward is how will I handle Wed. evenings at home alone with the kiddos. Just to be clear, I am a perfectly capable mom. I have always tried to be home with my kiddos as much as possible and until last year when I accepted a different position we had never used daycare and very rarely used a babysitter. This was because I worked nights and was home during the days with the kiddos and I loved it (most of the time...sometimes I just wanted to sleep).

Anyway, the current problem is we know what chemo/radiation was like the first time and both of us have been worried about my being exhausted on Wednesdays and home alone with two little kids. We both acknowledge our concerns, but we have just adopted a week-by-week basis. In the end, it has turned out to be a mute point. I miss Geoff, but Wednesday evenings have turned out to some of my favorite nights of the week.

A few weeks ago the kids and I had a "barn night" (see Free Flow) after a visit from a good friend. Tonight that same good friend brought her kids, and dinner and we had time to talk while the kids played (and I ogled over her baby). She was even effortlessly successful at getting E to eat broccoli, which essentially elevates her to goddess status in my world. Oh, and she brought watermelon...my favorite food. So what I'm trying to say is that I'm really learning to like these Wed. nights because they have turned into something different and fun.

I still don't overly enjoy the part where I'm dragging and trying to get two munchkins to bed at the same time. Inevitably I end up missing my window of perfect bedtime with E a little and then I spend the rest of the time telling him to go to sleep. Currently it is nearly 10 pm and he is crying because I once again told him it was time to go to sleep. We already read a bunch of stories and he knows the routine, but he would stay up all night reading books if we let him. Not such a bad thing, if you don't mind overly cranky nearly 4 olds that you have to drag out of bed to get to preschool in the morning.

In other news, I was driving home from picking up Ella today. I ran my hand through the stubble on the top of my head, formerly known as my hair, and I noticed a few hairs on my hand. Of course I repeated this gesture and sure enough, more hair. *sigh* So then I did the only logical thing...I rubbed my head a bunch and I saw little hairs flying everywhere. Anyone want to start a pool on when I will officially be completely bald? Oh well, I'm counting on this meaning I don't have to shave my legs. That is a definite silver lining for me.

...and I think I may have two sleeping kids so I am off have some "me time"

No comments:

Post a Comment