Monday, January 14, 2013

Bananas!

This morning started out with me waking up an hour before my alarm went off to go to the bathroom. I was able to get back to sleep pretty quickly but about 15 minutes later E started crying for some unknown reason. We usually go in his room and see what's the matter and he goes back to sleep, but for some reason I went in his room asked him if he wanted to come snuggle in our room. Of course he said yes. Ok, I did this because a. I was not thinking and b. I wanted to maximize my sleeping time.

Anyway, he came to our room and crawled into our already overcrowded bed. It was kind of like how many bodies can you squeeze into a king sized bed?...two adults, two munchkins, a very large dog, and probably a cat or two (but I don't actually know if this part is true or not).

He went back to sleep immediately. Actually it was really sweet, but then I couldn't sleep because I started thinking about how my little boy is actually quickly becoming a big boy and rarely has time to cuddle his mommy.

Then my alarm went off and I decided to reset it for a few minutes because I just wanted to snooze. About two minutes later the phone rang. It was my parents asking me to unlock the front door...In other words they were so enthusiastic about coming to babysit today they showed up about a half hour early.

I sighed and got up to unlock the door and put the dogs out. While the dogs were out I ran downstairs to start another load of laundry, brought the dogs in, and hurried back upstairs to take a shower. A few minutes later and Geoff and I were on our way out the door. We dropped the dogs off at doggy daycare and headed to the hospital.

I was cold and crabby. I really wanted my port out but I was remembering my previous experiences and not looking forward to being poked and prodded. On the way, Geoff announced that he was going to come in with me for a bit so that made it a little better.

The person that checked me in congratulated me on getting my port out and gave me my pager for the lab. My lab experience included an extra iv poke...I was a little dehydrated from this past week.Oh well, it was all pretty quick and easy.

Then it was off to radiology. Geoff stayed as I got changed and checked in and then he headed off to work. A few minutes later I was off to the procedure room (not the picture on Facebook. I wished I would have brought my camera in with me). I was there for about an hour. My port was a little difficult coming out due to scar tissue. I refused sedation, but I did have Fentanyl again. My nurse gave me an extra dose when I flinched as the MD put his weight onto my chest to get leverage for pulling out the catheter. It wasn't the pressure that made me flinch but the internal tugging. The extra dose did the trick though...soon I was vacillating between attentiveness and snoozing.

At one point I woke up and realized that I was having one of those dreams where you are half awake and you think what you are dreaming is really happening. I'm sad to say that it was not at this point that I realized that I was not fully cognizant. You would think the fact that my dream was something about bananas wearing shoes and walking around would have tipped me off.

Needless to say the drugs distracted me from any discomfort. It was only a few minutes more before I was in recovery. Since I didn't actually have sedation I only had to stay an hour instead of two. Geoff was not surprised to find that I decided to omit the part about the bananas and other things, like nausea. I figured I managed to eat a lunch and keep it down so no need to get worked up about it. Besides I have all the nausea meds I need at home and I just wanted to go home.

Geoff thought the bananas dream was pretty funny and felt compelled to ask at the first few stop lights if I saw any bananas crossing the street. I glared at him and then decided to go to sleep.

I've taken it easy the rest of the day and I'm back to not being able to pick up my munchkins until I go back in next Tuesday...but I'm pretty sure that will be no big deal. In the meantime, I'm lounging around with ice packs because the combination of the internal sutures and external tegaderm (type of dressing) are driving me nuts. The site is pretty bruised too, but I'm sure it will heal up in no time and soon enough this will just be another part of the journey that's only significance was it symbolizing the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment