Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Magic

I have so many things running through my mind today I don't have a clear idea of what to write.

What keeps coming to mind is the highs and the lows of this season. I have read more sad Facebook posts this week than ever before. People who have lost loved ones, have medical issues, financial hardships...

There is a part of me that relates on some level to each and everyone of them and there is a part of me that doesn't. Regardless, my heart goes out to all of them. I wish I could help them all.

There have been plenty of happy stories too, but that is how the holidays are isn't it? The sad stories are there to make you really appreciate the happy ones?

This year we are a happy story. It makes me feel selfish to say that, but it's true. Of course it isn't just me...We have a 1 year old who is just discovering the magic of the holiday season and a 3 year old who is completely immersed.

We are still struggling with not enough time, money, or energy to do all that we should, but who doesn't? Tonight there is a list of housework we should have done...laundry, litterboxes, general cleaning, floors...but we hung Christmas lights. (really, I did one bush and then Geoff did the rest) It's not anything fancy but we are so pleased with ourselves.

It is something that has been incredibly important to me this year. I've wanted lights so when I'm having those bad days I can look out the windows of my own house and see them. More importantly, I've wanted them for the kids. They love all the lights when we go anywhere in the car, so it makes sense that they would love them in their own yard.

E was very happy to help me with my contribution and Ella stood at the door and watched Geoff almost the whole time he was outside. Giggling and clapping and chattering away...It didn't take long once we figured out where all our lights were, but it was completely worth it!

It made sense to take advantage of the warm weather tonight. We'll get chores done another night and we'll get a tree another night. We still have plenty of indoor decorating to do too, but last night our elf, Alfred helped us out by decorating one of the bathrooms. He did a pretty good job too! He even left coloring pages and a snowflake craft project for the kids.

The looks on E's and Ella's faces were pure magic when E went to go potty and found him...I look forward to whatever magic Alfred, the Elf, will bring tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment