Sunday, September 15, 2013

Surf camp

So today I left for surf camp. 

My flight was at 8:45 am, but I didn't go to bed until 3 am. I set an alarm for 5:45 and another for 6 but neither went off. I woke up at almost 7. Fortunately I had everything pretty much ready so we were out the door by 7:30.

I flew from Madison to Denver and Denver to Santa Barbara. The flights were each about 2.5 hours. I catnapped and read to pass the time.

Once I arrived in Santa Barbara I was picked up at the airport by a few others from my group. I was the last of our car load (mini van actually) to arrive. All of us were given silly nicknames for the week. Mine is Tonic...Here I'll explain the flow behind it...Virginia to Gin to Tonic. Probably it up'd my cool factor 50%. Probably I needed that.

Anyway, we headed back to our house. If you want to take a peek at it, here's the link. http://santabarbaravacationrentals.us/

When we got back to house we spent a couple hours hanging out by the pool/hot tub getting to know each other. There are about 15 of us. There are a couple of "house moms" and "directors" plus a chef and sous-chef, a Dr. and a volunteer photographer. It's going to be a great week.

I've already met a lot of really nice people including another person from just outside Madison (Fitchburg)...

After pool time we had a wonderful dinner. After dinner I put a couple loaves of Zucchini bread that I made last night and brought with me (FYI, this is a pain with trying to get through airport security). Then we hung out for awhile again and finally had a house meeting. We talked about the uses and the plan for the week. We introduced ourselves and finished up with getting t-shirts and Teva sandals. This is not the shirt we got, but I'm pretty sure I need to order this http://firstdescents.org/fdstore/womens-gorilla-tee/

Now everyone is hanging out, chatting, and watching YouTube videos. Tomorrow morning we head out to begin surf camp. If you want to check out the group doing our surf lessons or maybe see embarrassing pics of me trying to surf check out http://firstdescents.org/ and http://surfhappens.com/ and like their Facebook pages. 

I miss Geoff and the kiddos, but I know this week will go fast and I'll be home before i know it. This is going to be a great week for me...it's low key, fun, and everything is done with our best interests in mind...example: the food is all vegetarian with a lot of fiber and micro nutrients.

No comments:

Post a Comment