Monday, July 30, 2012

C is for...Chocolate Bunny, the hollow kind


A little background...I have been thinking about starting a blog for awhile now. I think about it from time to time but for the most part I associate writing with education and work. I don't think I've done any form of creative writing since I was in fourth grade and we had to write a story about being ship-wrecked on a deserted island. In other words, don't have high hopes for my writing abilities.

What's this about C is for cervix and cancer? A week ago, July 23rd, I got the phone call that officially diagnosed me with cervical cancer. I was at work and thought I could take the news like a champ and keep working. (Note: I do not recommend this.) For a week this is about all I have known. I was able to find out the specific type of cervical cancer, but nothing else.

Today was the big day when I had an appointment at the Carbone Cancer Institute to meet my Oncologist and find out my plan. My appointment was at 1pm. We knew going into the appointment that it may be up to 4 hours. I was told to expect lab work, chest films, and possibly an anesthesiology appointment. For the first hour we (my husband, sleeping daughter, and myself) sat in a little room by ourselves. 



Random funny story of the day inserted to lower my anxiety: Our three year old son decided to "change" his own diaper. AKA: he took off a poopy diaper, threw it over his bedroom gate and into the hall. He then put a stack of disposable diaper liners (something us crunchy cloth people use as a barrier to protect the high tech fabrics of the diapers from diaper creams) on the discarded diaper and put his shorts back on with no diaper. His final moment of glory was to put a rash guard swim shirt over his regular Curious George t-shirt (no idea why).

Back to the story: At a little after 2pm the Nurse Practitioner came in to introduce herself and take a more thorough history. We both thought she looked familiar and she recognized us from being a fellow home birth mama. She remembered meeting the three of us about a year ago when we told Ella's birth story and my hospital transfer story at a home birth meeting. She was awesome, super professional, asked if we wanted someone else because of our common connection/acquaintance, and then used what she knew about us to customize our care. She made all the difference for us.

About 45 minutes later, we finally met the oncologist. He talked with us about the possibility of my cancer really being an endometrial (the lining of the uterus) cancer. According to him, the pathology of my cancer is much more common in endometrial cancer and while the treatment is essentially the same, they know much more about this type of cancer being associated with the endometrium. This means that endometrial cancer would be better. He decided that he would do an endometrial biopsy, but once he had the opportunity he decided he was fairly certain the origin is actually the cervix so he opted to not do the biopsy.

Fast forward a half hour: Our daughter finally wakes up just as we sit down to discuss everything. My cancer was graded as 1B1 which is great. This was our best case scenario. Cervical cancers are graded from 0 (precancerous, also known as, dysplasia) to 4B which has no cure. 1A would mean that my cancer is only visible with a microscope, but I already knew that it wasn't 1A, so 1B1 was as low as it was going to get for me. With normal cervical cancer this would be great news, esp. here at UW. This is one of few places in the world that does a surgery that just removes the cervix. This is important to women that are still in their child-bearing years and desire to still have children. Unfortunately, my cancer is a rare aggressive form that very little is known about. I drew some unlucky wild card and am 1 of about 120 women that get this type in the US each year. Due to the nature of my cancer they feel it is best to treat it aggressively quickly. It is with great sadness that I announce that in less than two weeks I will have a "radical (aka they remove everything to the pelvic walls) hysterectomy." As a bonus I get four weeks of chemo as soon as I'm out of the hospital from my surgery. Jealous? No doubt.

Can you decode this?

I have many thoughts as I process all this information. I feel a sense of great loss knowing there I will never be able to have another child. (Please don't say anything about the two wonderful children we do have. We are both aware of how lucky we are. We understand you mean well, but it diminishes our loss. Also adoption is not something we are ready to think about right now. Maybe someday, maybe not. Right now it's the loss of the journey building up to the baby and the changes in your body and the all things associated with being a woman). I'm dreading the surgery and chemo. I'm worried about how all of this will affect my kids, my husband, my family (including 4-legged). I'm worried about work and grad school. I'm worried about money. I'm worried about what I will look after all of this is done. I'm worried about how I'm going to feel during all of this. I'm worried about more things than I can articulate. Overall though I'm optimistic (especially about any cervical cancer tests I have in my Women's Health class for my midwifery coursework this term) and we'll get through this. It will be ok, but for now I feel hollow, much like a chocolate bunny.


10 comments:

  1. Ginny, what a heartbreaking, bittersweet cascade of feelings. I am so sorry about your uterus. Is that a weird way to put it? I hope you know what I mean. And yes, you're blessed with two lovely children but I support your mourning for the ones you will not have. Love from the other side of the st. Croix. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny, my heart just stopped reading this link on FB. I am broken for you. I know you will get through this. I know God will carry you and Geoff and E and Ella and your family through this hard journey. I will be praying for you many many times a day. I wish we were closer and I could offer to watch the kids for you when needed or bring meals or anything.... But for now, know I'm praying and greiving for you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginny, your positive, upbeat attitude is amazing. I'm praying for you and your family and you begin your treatment.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family (even the four legged ones) as you begin this journey. My best wishes for your body, mind, and maybe most of all, for healing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Mary, I cannot believe how positive you are being. You are such a strong woman, absolutely amazing. I am so very sorry that this is how things are shaking out. I love you and am here if there is anything that I can do! Holding you and your family in the light.
    - Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many hugs and so much love, Ginny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ginny, my heart goes out to you and your family. There are so many things I want to say and share with you, just know that I am here for you and all you have to do is ask and I will be there..

    ~Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Ginny,
    You have an abundance of love, humor, and resources - 2-legged and 4-legged - to cope with this crazy, unfair, painful, absurd twist of life. Call on your village when needed (that means me, too). much love, Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Ginny,
    I'm so saddened and angered to read that Cancer has interfered in your life at this time, it is so unfair in so many ways. Your positive, strong and powerful attitude along with the support of all of your village(as Ingrid said) is an inspiration. Sending love and support your way.
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Ginny,

    You are one of the bestest, brightest, strongest people I know. I am angry that this completely awful thing has happened to you, and I'm sad too. I want to be part of your village, my dear. You have my email and phone number, use them! My husband and I are great cooks, babysitters, and we love animals should you need help caring for them too. Let me know what I can do. Love to you and yours.

    -Ann

    ReplyDelete